Welcome to the process of becoming a member of BuxMont Unitarian Universalist Fellowship. The pathway begins with your first visit through our doors. It culminates with signing the membership book and becoming fully engaged in the Fellowship. In between, we offer a number of ways for you to learn about Unitarian Universalism and our Fellowship.
On your first visit you can learn by:
- Asking questions of the Ambassador, whom you can find in the upstairs lobby by the Visitors’ Table. (Front Door Greeters can also help.)
- If you have children with you, connecting with the Director of Religious Education, who will orient you to our program that day. (The Ambassador can introduce you.) Your children may decide to participate in a religious education class after you sign them in, or they can sit with you in the Sanctuary or in the Social Hall to attend the service.
- Signing up to get the newsletter.
- Talking with a member of our Membership Committee. Front Door Greeters or the Ambassador can introduce you.
- Browsing and selecting materials about Unitarian Universalism and BuxMont.
- Staying after the services for coffee and conversation. Check out the bulletin boards. Ask a congregant to give you a tour!
Over the next few months get to know Unitarian Universalism and BuxMont Unitarian Universalist Fellowship by participating in newcomer-friendly activities.
- Attend an after-service session of “UU and You,” presented by the Minister in the Fireside Room/Library once a month. (Right next to the Visitors’ Table, through the double doors.) The theme rotates bi-monthly: one month you will learn more about Unitarian Universalism; one month more about our BuxMont congregation. No sign-ups needed. Just stop by. Check the BuxMont e-Calendar for exact dates.
- Postings of Unitarian Universalist events, brochures, and books can be found in the Social Hall and Library.
And get to know the people who make up BuxMont’s Fellowship.
- Complete the “Skills, Interests and Directory Update” so that we can connect you with an activity or volunteer opportunity. Skills Interests Directory Update
- Try a class listed in The Liberal Voice newsletter.
- Attend an event such as a Coffee House or Friday Night Film, listed on the web calendar and in the “Order of Service.”
- Volunteer to sing in an Instant Choir, help at a social event, assist the Sunday Morning Greeters, or help with a one-time task. The Ambassador at the Visitors’ Center can help to connect you.
- Sign cards at the Caring Corner table in the Social Hall after the service and meet dozens of other BuxMonters who are doing the same–and who will enjoy meeting you. Just sit down when a chair is empty.
- Sign up to participate in a BuxMont Dinner Group where 6-10 people meet for potluck dinner in the homes of our members. Groups re-form in the autumn. Wait-list sign-up may be possible earlier.
- Visit or join any of the committees listed in “Who’s Who at BuxMont” brochure.
- Join a Small Group Ministry where 6-10 people meet monthly to discuss a question about spirituality.
- And definitely stay for coffee hour after the Sunday service.
When you are comfortable, let the Minister or someone from the Membership Committee know that you may be interested in becoming a BuxMont member. You will receive a packet of information created for those who are considering joining BuxMont Unitarian Universalist Fellowship. After you have had the opportunity to review the information packet, the Minister or someone from the Membership Committee will meet with you for a conversation about your desires and responsibilities as a Unitarian Universalist and a member of the BuxMont UU Fellowship. You will be invited to sign our membership book, the official act that makes you a member of BuxMont and a Unitarian Universalist. The entire congregation will welcome you at a New Member Recognition Ceremony within a few months of your joining.